Friday, June 01, 2007

Life is a highway... and coffe shop connections help

Here I am in a Hood River coffee shop, figuring out who kicked who's butts today in the hardest time trial I've ever done! It hurt more than usual this time, not only because it went over some serious climbs and directly into the Gorge wind the whole way, but because yesterday I took a fall that makes any movement fairly difficult. Waking this moring, I got the experience of what it's like to be less than perfectly mobile. My hip and all up along my left side is shredded with road rash, the helmet was demolished, both my shorts and jersey were destroyed and I have an internal bruse in my back that makes breathing deep difficult. All of this because of a post race mistake on both my and my teammates behalf. We were riding back to the car post race and were riding close enough to talk over the oncoming wind when a bee got the better of my teammate which resulted in our bars getting intertwined and me hitting the deck at 30-ish mph. It is by far the hardest I've ever hit the ground and a very rude awakening as to what riding a bike can do in a moment.
All-in-all, I'm happy with how things ended up today as the power on the bike was left in tact for the most part. I caught 6 riders and held off the guy that started behind me, a very strong time trialist (Ryan Trebon) by around the same gap we started with. Oddly enough, the bike is about the most comfortable position I've been in since the wreck. Our team is down to 3 from the starting number of 8, but we aren't the only team to take a substancial beating. What we've done in this race so far has been impressive and I'm very proud to be part of such an organization of tough guys.
Anyways, if you've read this far, way to go... and I'm gonna go down some more calories and try to build back up an aching body before tomorrows amazing tough stage. BTW, results of stage 3 are up here:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/2007/may07/mthood07/mthood073
more can be found by selecting the "previous stage" link
Anyways, over and out for today.

No comments:

The Latest Blogs

About Me

My photo
Boise, ID, United States

BBC News | News Front Page | World Edition